Sunday, September 13, 2009

A little post about following trends.

A little while ago in the Parade magazine, I noticed a certain fashion designer who mentioned that "Fashion is a mess right now...The most important thing is to figure out what looks good on you".

I suppose I can't agree with that enough. First off, what is with the big moto jacket frenzy? Did the world decide that Megan Fox was just amazing in the Transformers movies and decide to copy her fashion with the moto jacket and boots? That is certainly what I'm feeling right now. I've had plenty of chances to buy cute looking leather jackets but I never thought to buy one. Why? It just wasn't me!



Ssame thing goes with the whole new craze about animal prints. Leopard pumps, leopard shirts, zebra blouses, etc. What happened to the whole thing about animal cruelty? Even if those things are not real animal fur..think of the notion that those articles of clothing are conveying! Those clothes make it look okay to wear animal parts on our body. NOT OKAY IN MY OPINION.

Fashion is perhaps one of the most capricious things in the world. It really isn't worth buying clothes that you're only going to wear for one season. You want clothes that you can picture yourself wearing at least a year later, because, that's what you see yourself as.

My wardrobe, for example, consists of the basics: skinny jeans, flare jeans, bleached jeans, tees, jackets, trench coats, sweatshirts, and basic shoes.

What makes my fashion "me' is what I call Statement Clothing. Clothing that when people look at, they'll go, "Ahhh, so this person is ___".

Examples of my Statement Clothing:



  • Graphic Tees. I have tees that say "Some girls are born lucky enough to go to the UW", "Nerds rule", and "We've Got Jazz". All three of which express what I am. I'm a student at the UW (and I love it). I totally think nerds are quite awesome and entertaining. And I play alto sax and jazz piano (jazz band experience).

  • My Floral Zip Jacket from Lucky Brand Jeans. Sure everyone goes for a jacket that says "Hurley", "Volcom", or "Hollister" on it. But when I was looking for a nice and breezy jacket, I decided that I wanted, well everything on there! During that phase, I was really into the Hippie Era (wrote a biographical essay and dressed up as Abbie Hoffman for a debate in a history class). So I decided, okay, maybe I won't get a jacket with a huge peace sign on it. But, instead something more like flower power! After all, I do love colors. So I chose it. This jacket screams ME. It is colorful and random, eye-catching, and something that I really like to have in my wardrobe.

  • My mid-calf boots. Right now, the whole rush is about high (over the knee boots) or cute ankle boots. I tried on a few of those and stopped right where I was. When I looked in the mirror, I didn’t see “Natalie”. The high boots were just way too conspicuous and I certainly could not picture myself wearing them every day. The ankle boots I find were either too baggy or too leathery. So instead of going with the trend, I got a pair of black suede mid-calf boots with a ribbon on the side, and a wide opening for me to tuck my jeans in. That is my look! More classic, chic, yet sort of cute with the little ribbon.
  • Loose-fitting cardigans. Again, away with the moto jackets! I like the softer side of chic and sophisticated. These cardigans are totally me in the way that they represent the easy-going type of person I am. I am definitely not your hard core rocker chick.
  • My shoelaces. Shoelaces are a great example of who you are (especially now with the huge Converse trend). In order to make your ordinary running shoes show who you are, add colorful shoelaces! For me, I just put on one foot purple, other foot golden yellow. GO DAWGS!

These are just a few examples of what I call my Statement Clothes. They combine together to form Natalie’s Fashion Style.

WHAT ARE YOUR PIECES OF STATEMENT CLOTHING?

1 comment:

  1. Green-Gray Striped Jacket: Everywhere I goo, people wanna knooow... where i got it. Yay bargin shopping!

    Volleyball Team Hoodie: Shows pride in your team and in what you do. And comfy, too!

    Vintage ADIDAS: they haven't changed the style since '65 and i absolutely fell in love with them when i saw them.

    Gray skinny jeans: funny enough, even though it's classified as "emo" they're really versatile and usually match how i feel about the weather here...

    ReplyDelete