Friday, September 11, 2009

Personal Style Profile

I suppose there is no better way to start off a blog than to present my own style profile to get a sense of what sort of blogger you're looking at in me. So here it is:

Style Profile
My style really varies from season to season. Perhaps the things you find the most of in my closet are: sweatshirts/jackets/sweaters (essentials to survive in Seattle) and t-shirts (great for layering underneath the sweaters and stuff).
But, at times I really do manage to totally transform my style by combining pieces from different stores. Here’s my basic outline quarter by quarter.

Fall:
Fall is the ultimate back to school season. It’s sort of the season of first impressions and developing who you are. For me, an incoming freshman, fall is a brand new start. As with most “firsts”, I don’t like coming in as the center of attention. So for the first few weeks of school I dress with what makes me comfortable and at ease with myself. Examples of this are: my Hurley Plaid peacoat

my basic trench coats (of which you should all have one. It is very suitable for Seattle weather and it goes with anything really, from leggings and pumps to jeans and flats),
my black boyfriend blazer from the Nordstrom BP section (http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3066115?Category=&Search=True&SearchType=keywordsearch&keyword=sashimi+blazer+in+Juniors+BP.&origin=searchresults) , and my casual hoodies/jackets. I usually just layer my favorite tees under them. For bottoms, jeans tend to be my choice. I always tell myself to avoid wearing skirts that are too flowery these first weeks.

But don’t get the impression that I stick to wearing black and gray these first weeks. Oh no. I mean solids and basic patterns. Keep in mind that color choice is open to you. If you look fantastic in red go for it.

Once you get into the quarter and you are now in your comfort zone at the university, you can start showing a bit of your wild side with awesome patterns like a Lucy Brand Jeans patterned jacket, if that’s your style (http://www.luckybrand.com/Asian-Floral-Zip-Hoodie/LBJ10268,default,pd.html?cgid=womensJacketsHoodies&selectedColor=540) . Now, feel free to re-wear some of your summer clothes as long as you pair it with something more neutral (in other words, don’t make yourself look like you don’t have anything to wear besides what’s leftover from your summer wardrobe).

Shoes are also a big part. I can’t stress enough how important it is for you to be in your comfort zone when wearing clothes (especially during Seattle's harsh weather). I tend to stick with Rocket Dog sneakers, my Ugg-like boots, and my schoolgirl flats. Those are all great walking shoes and I definitely feel comfortable in them (they’re not too conspicuous either). Then, it’s time for…CRAZY SHOES. I recently bought a pair of metallic silver boots (that look like they’ve been painted over with silver car paint). They definitely stand out in a crowd. At times when you feel like expressing yourself, go for it. Just a big thing to remember is that..regardless of expression, with Seattle’s rain season edging in, dressing comfortably and suitably is most important for a student.

Winter:
The cold season. How lovely. During this season it is crucial that you start wearing winter coats to school. North Face jackets are very typical among college students (in fact, I don’t believe I have ever gone a day at the UW without seeing students wearing North Face jackets). If you like fur hoods, the faux-fur coats also work. In winter, I must emphasize the same things I did for Fall. But, watch out fur coats, spring is coming on soon.

Spring:
Spring is the last quarter of the school year (assuming summer is time for relaxation). Now spring is hugely important. Spring is the time when I pull-out everything loose-fitting and throw it on. Loose-fitting cardigans, jackets, capris. Think of this season as a time to unwind all the stress you’ve had this whole school year. I usually pull off weeks wearing loose-fitting capris (or my favorite pairs of jeans) and billowy cardigans. I had the same cardigan in three different colors because I absolutely loved how it looked and felt (http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3059993?Category=&Search=True&SearchType=guidednav&keyword=h.i.p.+cardigan+in+All+Categories+%3e+Brown&origin=searchresults). Now Free People sells the ideal stuff that you are aiming for during spring. Their clothes (to my older relatives) look like “Rags”. So what? Spring is breezy and warm, and you really do have to let go of that trench coat at some point. So make a dramatic switch. I do understand that Free People tends to be overly pricey. So stroll around in there for the ideas (pick out things that you like and make a mental note) then head over to places like Ross, Nordstrom Rack, Kohl’s, or TJ Maxx’s to find similar articles of clothing.

Summer:
Get ready to go wild! Summer is the time when you really can drop everything. Pull out those crazy patterns from last summer. Empty glitter pens on blank t-shirts. Absolutely explore yourself. Summer is my idea of a new beginning. Spring sort of ended everything with the nice unwinding sense of fashion. And now summer is the new beginning. What you fall in love with during summer will carry on in your style back to school. So be open. Buy loads of clothes and try them on at home (even make your own runway). Of course, you can always return the ones you don’t like. But, even so, summer is the time to figure out how you’ve grown as a person this past year and how that will change your fashion style.

2 comments:

  1. XD I recognize these clothes. I don't spend that much time on all of this though...still wear stuff from years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Discovering your unique Personal Style Profile is like unlocking the door to self-expression and confidence. And when it comes to curating a wardrobe that resonates with your style, I always turn to the exceptional collection at cottonconnection.com. Explore a world of fashion possibilities and redefine your personal style with Cotton Connection's diverse range of apparel.

    ReplyDelete